MARCH School Improvement Activities
For a list of all the Spring activities - see the Practical School Improvement Timeline site. Information comes from that site, and all originals can be found there.
- Run grade level reports looking for trends such as State level data over the past few years, focusing on deficiency areas as priorities in the final months of school. NOTE: Pay particular attention to the achievement trend of the “Mean Scale Score” compared to the state average as this is the single best indicator for 75% of the Top to Bottom Rankings.
- Compile summative assessment data (rather Informed Interim Assessments) as appropriate to measure student proficiency on targeted standards, with particular attention to additional interventions necessary as the year draws to a close.
- Complete all progress monitoring tasks specific to current Instructional Learning Cycle; detailed data will be necessary for reporting conversation.
- Compile formative assessment data as it relates to fidelity of implementation of SI strategies, paying particular attention to the data that will most effectively inform the school improvement team as they make decisions regarding which strategies to retain for next year.
- SPR or SA should be completed, now DUE in ASSIST by April 1, 2014.
- School Improvement Team should collect and analyze survey results Printable Sign in sheet; Sample March Agenda
- Required perception data: Parents, Staff and Secondary Students
- Suggested perception data: Community and elementary students
Integrate survey results and accompanying tools.
Use the 5 questions in the School Data Analysis (SDA) as a conversation guide.
In addition, create a summary of perceptions to present to staff by lifting a few key celebrations and a few key areas to focus on improving. Allow the entire staff to brainstorm solutions to assure buy-in.
- NOTE: AdvancED has FREE online surveys for ALL schools, simply log in to ASSIST and click on the Diagnostic & Survey tab.
- School Data Analysis (SDA) (finish by mid-April)
- Use these two documents shared with us from Gratiot Isabella to help you locate data: Assist: School Data Analysis diagnostic and Find Top 30/Bottom 30 in the BAA secure site
- In addition to the Process Profiles (SPR 40 or SPR 90 or SA) and the perception surveys, the SDA focuses primarily on demographic and achievement data in order to address the four types of data. The SDA and SPR 40 or SPR 90 (or SA) make up the Comprehensive Needs Assessment (CNA).
- Create subgroups to analyze different sections of the SDP/A and different content areas using the Data Dialogue Protocol
- Utilize MiSchoolData.org to look at enrollment and schools of choice data across subgroups plus achievement trends compared to state or ISD averages per grade level per content.
- Drill down beyond global data found on MI School Data to include timely, diagnostic and local data such as (ACT Plan, Explore, Delta Math, DIBELS, etc.) Also include HS Strand and EL/MS GLCE Historical trend reports most likely available on a Pearson Inform.
- Lift key findings and report out to the larger group
- Identify April SIT meeting objectives; build meeting agenda
- Finalize formal evaluation of existing supplementary programs and SI Plan (Dec – March)
- Submit by the end of March, MSDS data for Title I, Section 31a and Homeless. This includes the mid-year report for Title I-A and Section 31a counts eligible for F/R.
- Check status of federal funds for each school that receives money; make all necessary modifications and begin budgeting process.
- Notify buildings of estimated allocations for State and Federal funds.
- Indicate on the School Infrastructure Data (SID) those buildings that are Title I School wide.
- Arrange meeting with Private/Non-Profit (P/NP) schools serving students living in your district who responded to the letter of invitation. Sample written process now available
- Prepare DIP, TISS, Cons App for mid-May submission if planning early obligation date.
- AdvancEd: ASSIST platform for school improvement plan reporting
- MI School Data Michigan Data portal
- Michigan Dept of Education
Online Tool Kits
- Wayne RESA
- Practical MI School Improvement Timeline
- School Improvement in Maryland - has many useful school improvement resources and ideas
More Help Documents:
Find Top 30/Bottom 30 in the BAA secure site Kathy Stewart of Gratiot Isabella RESD has created a step-by-step guide with screenshots of how to access the data since the system has changed.
Cite the Research:
Best Evidence Encyclopedia - from Johns Hopkins University